Wednesday, August 03, 2005

the beginning...or the end?

I remember a time, I must have been in the 9th grade, I was just starting to think about what I wanted to be in life, did I want to be a engineer (Hell NO!) or a doctor (yeah right! sometimes a forget my own name imagine forgetting a patient!) ....always the pessimest, i knew what I DIDNT want never quite knew what I wanted.

My father proposed an exciting idea, do you want to be an architect? But what does an architect do dad? An architect brings ideas to life, an architect is an artist talks about the metaphysical, about space and yet, builds with bricks and mortar. An architect belongs to the fields of engineering (aleast most academia treats it as such) but soars in the realm of the artist, never really belonging anywhere. Sounds like me dad, but how do I know for sure?

He suggested I start with something simple. He told me to imagine my house, imagine what it would be like, draw up a plan for it and make a model of it. In ways i still dont understand in about 2 days I made a model of what would be called a studio apartment ( I didnt know such things existed then.) I designed a self contained unit with a corner with skylights for me to work in, a raised platform to sleep on and a kitchenette with a bar/breakfast counter. Its frighteneing in how much detail i remember this.

Next Monday I start work in an architectural firm, designing houses for people, making the same kind of models I made so many years ago. Today I look for my studio apartment in San Francisco city.

Is this the end of a dream? Or the beginning of reality? Did my destiny work its way around, did the world conspire to give me what I wanted all those years ago? Or did I make that happen?

Maybe all of the above. Whatever force got me here, internal or external I thank you now, and I pray that that dream metamorphoses into a wonderful exciting real life.

4 Comments:

Blogger PIV said...

you made it happen alrite ;) and ur life is as real as it could ever be. But yeah.... this better be the beginning .. not the end :D Enjoy for a while and then look ahead :)

talk to you later ..

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Nats,
Congrats on scoring 1/1 (Call me to ask what that is :) ). Welcome to the grind of a working adult :):)

Not only have you achieved what u dreamt of when u were a kid, all the more you ended up in your dream city, doing your dream job but ironically thats all in real life!!!!!!!
I'm happy for you. Let me know when do you plan on inviting me over :) Happy dreaming!!
Nilesh

2:36 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

@arul, thanks arul, you had a large hand at making this happen, and this is a beginning alright a long torturous road lies before me;)

@ nilesh, 1/1 i think I can make a good guess on that;) but my doors are always open for ya;)

4:47 AM  
Blogger PIV said...

heheh .. thanx nats .. but it was all you :) You were the one who had to make the hard and difficult decisions :D

"a long torturous road" -- a long road .. yes :p tortorous .. no ;) enjoy the journey .. your friends will be there alongside during it :)

As for me I think I know my road, the question is does my road know me ;) ... Talk to you later :)

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home