Monday, March 07, 2005

shes loves me /he loves me not?

So what is with us people and love, mittra spoke about the movie Closer that we watched last week, starring Julia Roberts and a whole crowd of very good actors....

The one thing that struck me the most about the movie was how the characters all used a particular justification - Im with her because it was love at first sight, I fucked around with him because I love him, Im leaving you- I dont love you anymore....

What is this damn love? since when did we start using it as a bargaining tool, as a choice, as a reason for every "sacrifice" we make?

Coming from a die-hard romantic, who devors mills and boon and their ilk and who's views of life is very influenced by bollywood movies it was almost sacrilige for me to see these characters spout the idea of love as an excuse for everything bad - from leaving to screwing up each others lives...

I guess no one has a moral right on what love is, and what it should be...

My mom thinks that apart from love for her children and her husband ,it is her dharma to love everyone else (from annoying mothers-in-law to random strangers who need help)....my dad thinks love is a habit (my words but he agreed..wholeheartedly)....

me?...the jury is still out on that one....

8 Comments:

Blogger PIV said...

I can imagine why you would find the use of love sacrilegious nats ;) but i have a different take on this... You have to find happiness in yourself before searching for it in the arms of another... but as you say no one has a moral right on wat it should be or is..

As for defining love .. my fave poet does it best ..
"Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." --- Robert Frost

6:37 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

I like that one arul, I remember I was once asked, what do you look for in a man and I said someone who loves me....i guess i wasnt as poetic as Frost but the idea remains;)

12:00 AM  
Blogger Calvin said...

so here are a few love tidbitslove is what remains when everything else you feel for someone is dead.

love will conquer all.

love hurts so bad that when its gone it leaves a black space devoid of feeling and emotion.

all is fair in love and war.

love gives you wiiings! (actually Red Bull gives you wiiings, but y'know what im saying!

love makes everything feel like a smile.

12:33 AM  
Blogger d4u said...

The best feelings are those that
have no words to describe them.... I guess love is one such feeling..:-)!!

12:53 AM  
Blogger Natasha said...

guys, i agree with all of you said (expect maybe everything mittra said - but then we all know hes.....angsty;)...thats my point - we all think love is good - so why the characters of closer use that word to destroy other peoples lives??

8:52 AM  
Blogger Calvin said...

as i said, love doesn't suck, but it sure can suck!

6:54 PM  
Blogger PIV said...

"we all think love is good" I think love is powerful as are most emotions and is a double edged sword which can cause as much damage as it can good.

5:48 AM  
Blogger d4u said...

Ohhhhh..so v av a "luvvvvvly" discussion goin on here..:p!! Like i read sumver abt life i think similarly "Dont go through love..grow through it!!"

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home